Tuesday, April 15, 2014

I like Google. Nothing More, Nothing Less

I have a gmail account that pretty much connects to many things I use in my everyday life. If I had to rank on how I use Google, I would say that checking my email and using the search engine are at the top. Below that is Youtube and Google Docs. (This recently created blog is slowly having more frequent use though.)

The main web browser I use is Chrome. It was fairly recent though that I started to use Chrome as my main browser. It was around late October 2013 that my main web browser was Mozilla Firefox. Back then, my homepage on that browser was iGoogle (it closed down on November 1.) I loved iGoogle because all the things that I kept track of on the net was placed in one convenient webpage. With it's removal however, I had to search for an alternative. With a quick search on Google, I found out that Chrome has a custom tab page called Awesome New Tab Page. I won't go into detail but, let's just say it's awesome! I never knew Chrome can verbally notify my emails.

A small little fun thing about Google. Their April Fools prank are quite entertaining. Who doesn't like Pokemon? My inner childhood quietly screams out, "gotta catch'em all!".


So am I addicted to Google? As long as it keeps me away from Facebook, sure! Why not? I use Google mainly as a tool of convenience. If Google were to suddenly turn evil, I would just throw it away. I would use a different search engine, a different email, and a different web browser. If I had to look up a definition, I would use a real dictionary. Need to find information on homework assignments? There are libraries and encyclopedias in a location nearby. If I had to check up on news, I would read a newspaper and watch TV. Google Calender? I have a Halo 4 calender hanging on my bedroom wall.  Google Maps? There are physical maps and GPS available. Youtube? Well, I'll miss it. In the middle of nowhere? I don't have network connection anyway. Privacy concerns? I am but just one of many people that use Google. Everybody would be exposed to each other. It's not like we are already doing that. Google to me is convenient and useful. It doesn't mean it has power over our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment